[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
Whitney My Love -- Favorite scene?? -

Whitney My Love -- Favorite scene??

Have a burning question that was not addressed on the site? Do you have a question about a past book? Or just want to share your comments?
Let us know on the McNaughtized comment board!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jessica
Viscountess
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Whitney My Love -- Favorite scene??

Unread postby Jessica » Mon May 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Ok so I am reading Whitney, My Love. Again. I wonder how many times I have re-read it? Hmm... No way to count.

But I digress.

So which scene is your favorite??

(Since I am re-reading it, this is probably the first of several posts on it I will post this week. Ha ha. So don't think I am single-minded lol)

<3

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Re: Whitney My Love -- Favorite scene??

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Tue May 14, 2013 2:36 am

"вon voyage, cнérιe."

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Tue May 14, 2013 2:37 am

If I literally type down all my favorite scenes, I would say from Pg 1 to 708 [full] of the book. Ha ha!
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Tue May 14, 2013 8:49 am

Jessica, why did you do this to me???

I just finished Paradise yesterday, and since I have an exam on Saturday I promised to myself I will not read any other book until next week. But you asked our favorite scene and I just couldn't decide which one. So, now I started reading Whitney, My Love again 0:)
“Con ogni respiro che prendo.”

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Tue May 14, 2013 9:54 am

Well, I am single minded ;/ All I want to talk about is W,ML right now :D

Oh my god, I adore that book and Clayton and Whitney. I just realized that the other day, while I was criticizing Whitney, I honestly forgot a lot of things about her. Now reading the book again, I realized why I loved her so much despite her "bad" decisions. Sometimes, knowing the ending of course, they don't even seem that bad.

The book is soo good that even a sentence can make itself into one of my favorite scenes. For instance, when Clay and Whitney are going to London to attend a ball, they are having a small conversation. It's not a big scene actually. It goes as:

""Where is your home?" she asked after a long, comfortable silence.

"Wherever you are.""

You don't expect Clay to say something like that before he didn't admit even to himself that he is in love with her. But he says it and I am done really.
I understand now why I couldn't remember at which scene I fell for him. He is so perfect all through the book, if you aren't currently reading it you can't separate a single moment that easily.

Jessica
Viscountess

Unread postby Jessica » Tue May 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Aaaah! I am so GLAD you are single-minded about this, because I am too since I am re-reading it! Y'all should re-read it too, and we can have a week-long book discussion and totally glom on W,ML posts. lol!

I think my very favorite scene in W,ML (quite possibly my favorite scene out of ALL JM books) begins after Whitney leaves Claymore after "The Bedroom Debacle" -- otherwise known as Clayton's Huge Mistake. They are not speaking, and Whitney is so depressed. Then Emily intervenes and invites Clay to the wedding to bring them together, and he stands there in the crowd. She meets his eyes and realizes he is standing there humbly offering himself to her....and that amazing line--"Miss Stone, I adore you." *THUD* (was me, fainting). la la la, she realizes he has broken the betrothal and is mean to him at the reception even though he is being so, SO sweet. *sniff* So they break up -- again. And THEN (and this is where I really start warming to this topic), weeks go by....and she sees him out. At the opera, with laughing with Vanessa Standfield. (Omg this tore me up). And at that party in the departing line when Vanessa asks "Where are you leading me?" and he says "Astray". (Arghhhhh! And Whitney heard it all! Oh, the angst.) And then she is depressed some more, and Nicki proposes, and she goes to her room and bawls....And then finally Emily has had enough of it and she goes to demand that Whitney tell her what is wrong. And talks her into going to Claymore... And that HORRIBLY awkward little gathering in the drawing room with Stephen, the Duchess, Clay, Vanessa, and Whitney. (Could that BE any more awkward??)... (Aside -- I love how JM says the Duchess, Clay's mom, is wanting to drink the entire bottle of wine or whatever it was. ha ha ha)... And anyway, this long series of increasingly unbearable angst finally culminates with the scene where she humbles herself to Clayton, and he stiffens, trying to resist her...And then finds he cannot. And he yanks her into his arms and... Oh my god it is AMAZING.

OK, OK I realize that is not one scene, but a string of many -- but I sort of think it qualifies as a scene because it is all tied together, and one cannot possibly get to that part, and put the book down until one has read that entire, angsty series of events. If someone HAS in the past put the book down in the middle of all that angsty trauma, it surely had to be because the house was on fire, or a robber came in. Even then, however, I would be likely to just say, "Take what you like, but please hurry and keep the noise to a minimum. I am reading right now and am at a REALLY good part." ha ha

<3

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Tue May 14, 2013 12:32 pm

I am at that part right now, Clayton has just sent an envelope, in it there are her release from the betrothal, a note and money. He wishes her happines with Paul. But he wants to beg her to come back to him. Oh God, I'm crying my eyes out. :_( You were so right when you said you cried all through the end starting with Clayton's mistake. I am crying non-stop :_(

He is so miserable, and so am I :_(

The only thing that can tear me from this book right now is this BB, I check regularly. I guess I am truly addicted. I even stop reading for a few minutes :D

Jessica
Viscountess

Unread postby Jessica » Tue May 14, 2013 12:44 pm

Gah! You are already way ahead of me!! I must catch up!!!

OMG -- I had forgotten that scene where he signs the documents...even though he wants her back desperately. He is trying to make her happy. :( Old Clayton--the one who merely regarded her as an acquired possession--probably wouldn't have let her go. But now he loves her, and wants her to be happy. *sniff* I have to stop. I will cry at work.

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Tue May 14, 2013 1:28 pm

What time is it in Dallas exactly? Here it is 9:30 pm ::zzz::

Jessica
Viscountess

Unread postby Jessica » Tue May 14, 2013 1:46 pm

Ha ha right now it is 1:45pm. lol. No wonder you aren't online when I finally get home from work. lol.

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Tue May 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Yeah, normally I am sleeping ::zzz::

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Wed May 15, 2013 2:22 am

Lol, even I am re-reading WML! Ke ke.
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Wed May 15, 2013 2:24 am

"вon voyage, cнérιe."

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Wed May 15, 2013 7:10 am

Now I've finished the book. My favorite scene? Really? As you've already said the whole book is my favorite scene.

If I have to pick one, and this is a fix scene for me whenever a heroine does this I really really love it, it's when Whitney left Clayton and went to his mother's estate. He is, at first angry, then worried and then it dawns on him that Whitney wrote that note to himself not anybody else. And he is looking for her, but couldn't find her. He is so miserable. Oh I love that scene.

It also happened to Ian, and Stephen too. I love their anxiety. I love the heroines do that to them. They all deserved it. :D

Jessica
Viscountess

Unread postby Jessica » Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Ooooh, I like that scene too!!! I love how Alicia is getting quite piqued at Clayton for not coming for Whitney, and then it dawns on her that it obviously hasn't occurred to Clay to look for her there, so she devises that sceme to have Stephen mention it in casual conversation... I *love* Alicia.

AND -- shortly before those scenes when Clay makes the mistake of asking her if the baby is his. Even though she is laughing hysterically, we know she is pained and enraged. Especially when she lands a crashing blow to his face.

And as he "thoughtfully" walks back in the house and goes into his study to pour himself a drink, JM says..."He now knew two things for certain: Whitney had a powerful right arm. And the baby was his.

lmao.

Cracks me up.

OMG! Another, another...The Lord Archibald's parents' anniversary party, when Marie St. Allermain walks into the room. Whitney feels wretchedly, painfully, miserably sick. She is holding on to Clay's elbow and when he sees Marie, his arm tenses and she realizes he hadn't known she was there. As Marie begins to sing, Whitney is still feeling deathly ill and wanting to escape. JM says, "Whitney wished, very sincerely, that she were dead. She was so anguished that she had no idea when Clayton's hand had come to rest on her cold, clammy one which was linked through the crook of his arm, or for how long he had been lightly, reassuringly squeezing her fingers."

*sniff*

Even though he practically hated her, he still offered her comfort... Because he still loved her.

SO sweet.

<3

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Wed May 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Return to “Judith McNaught Message Board”

Login