[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
Trouble in Paradise, um, figure of speech -

Trouble in Paradise, um, figure of speech

Have a burning question that was not addressed on the site? Do you have a question about a past book? Or just want to share your comments?
Let us know on the McNaughtized comment board!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nazifa Jan
Viscountess
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Trouble in Paradise, um, figure of speech

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Mon May 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Hello Chéries, [lol, Nicki's influence]

I know I disappeared for a while. That's because I'm trying to stay away from the laptop for a while because of my eye ;/

Anyways back to the point, Summer Vacation is coming up for me in 16 days [yay!], and I want some recommendations from you all,
any good books?
- something as good as [or close to] JM's?
Didem, you mentioned Julie Garwood once before but which one of her books would you recommend first to read? :)
- i also do LOVE the Harry Potter series, so I wouldn't mind young adult fiction as well~
- Khaled Hosseini is also one of my absolute favorite author, so anything similar to his books?

any good movies?
- @FarahN : since you might have watched Bollywood movies, you can recommend me some Indian movies too.
[I ♥ SRK]
- I am open to any as long as it's good [lol, too vague]

I apologize if I'm too vague, but bear with me, and I am open to any of your recommendations. :)
Thanks!

xoxo
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

didem
Viscountess

Re: Trouble in Paradise, um, figure of speech

Unread postby didem » Mon May 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Welcome back Nazifa, I've missed you :)
Now books.... There are so many... Believe me by the time you finish reading all the books I've recommended, your summer would be over for 2 months :D

About Julie Garwood books, as I've mentioned before she writes romantic suspence, so if you have a problem with that genre like Jessica does, I don't recommend her. Because there is always a villain who wants to kill our heroine and/or hero, and our hero is always so awesome we love him (not as much as Clayton or Matt, but we love him.) : D But if you don't mind that, I can recommend almost everyone of her books. Ah, I've just realized For the Roses is not romantic suspence, so it would be a nice place to start. There are five books but three of them are novellas. The beginning of that book is just enough to make everybody cry (it's a good cry, you'll love all five siblings immidiately :D ) My personal favorite is Highlands' Lairds Series. Especially the second one "Ransom" is one of my all time favorite books : D Also you can read The Prize. Even Jessica loved it, she said so herself :D

If you want to cry all through a book, I would recommend Catherine Anderson - Annie's Song. It is about Annie who everybody thinks is dimwitted. She is the poor girl nobody messes with, then someone rapes her and gets her pregnant. It's an amazing book, really really an amazing book.

I also love Hannah Howell's Highland books, if you want to get into some series, there are 18 of them I think :D

Jude Deveraux' Velvet series, and Peregrine series and Lanconia's Royal Family series are really good.
If you like a little magic, and highlanders Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series are very good.
If you like time travel I'd recommend Lynn Kurland. Any of her books from McLeod Family or De Pieget family series is fine with me :D
I love Rachel Gibson's Truly Madly Yours, the hero there... He reminds me JM heros.
Susan Elizabeth Phillips' practically every book :D I've tried to narrow it down but no, they are all really good. Not as good as JG or JM for me, but still very very good :D
I love Susan Mallery books too, Fool's Gold series, Bakery Sisters series are good.

If you want fantastic fiction, have you read Eragon - Inheritence Cycle? I love that series. I also love Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire and Vampire Lestat, both books are more heavy reading then any of the books I've mentioned in this message, but it is a beautiful journey to have.

Movies... OMG, are you really asking? I can recommend thousands of them but you must give me a genre. Drama, adventure, romantic comedy, historical, fantastic fiction, sci-fi? I don't watch horror or art movies. Can't abide them. The only horror movie that made me pee to my pants was Halloween 1. (I was at high school and couldn't sleep for a week. The calmness of Michael. Dear God, I still don't even want to hear the music of that movie. It gives me chills. ) Others not so much.

My all time favorite movies are Philadelphia, Edward Scissorhands, Shindler's List, Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter 1,2,3, Pirates of Caribbean,Top Gun and etc. If you give me a genre, or some movies you like the most, it would be more helpful. I can judge which movies you'll love or not more easily.

Wow, it's been a long message again. Sorry :D
“Con ogni respiro che prendo.”

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Mon May 27, 2013 5:05 pm

“Con ogni respiro che prendo.”

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Tue May 28, 2013 6:15 am

Woah! I have to get these all down before I go book-shopping. : D
Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for your time & recommendations. I appreciate it so much. ♥
If I disappear in the summer, just know Didem that it's your 'fault'. He he. I'll be so lost in reading that I might forget to eat, sleep, talk . . .*exaggerations*!

Didem, I literally *sheepish smile* do not have a fixed genre of what kind of movies I like. When people ask me, I'm just like 'make me watch it'. I just give it a one-go chance. I know I'm weird.
I'll give a try to all the movies you recommended.
But if you do need a bit of direction in my tastes : I like 'smart' movies, something that might make me go 'oh my God, we are doomed' to 'ah, he had a back up plan'. I, of course, do have a soft spot for romances. Like 'The Notebook' and 'Titanic'. Though they both were sad. . .I like action/thriller like the Marvel Studio series of Iron Man, The Avengers. And yes I even watch animated movies. Like Disney or Studio Ghibli. :)
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Tue May 28, 2013 6:16 am

"вon voyage, cнérιe."

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Tue May 28, 2013 6:31 am

Oh, btw, I meant to insert it here.....I have a recommendation too.
It's a Korean drama called 'Boys Over Flowers'. And I'm sure you'll love it.
I've recommended it to my friends & we are all die-hard fans of it.
Give it a try.
There are 25 episodes, about 1 hour each.
The main guy is arrogant, conceited, rich, handsome BUT when the girl he falls for rejects him...*ouch*...
Okay, just watch it before I spill spoilers.....
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

FarahN
Baroness

Unread postby FarahN » Tue May 28, 2013 7:17 am

Heyyy! Sorry I've been totally outta touch :) been busy with a few photo shoots. Phew! Was it tiring or what?! :O
Missed u all. And missed being here..
Nazifa u made me laugh lol with your SRK and Bollywood comment :p and its true hahaha I do watch it and I do know a few good ones that I can recommend :D
Which ones have u already watched?
I would recommend:

~'don 1 and 2' by SRK (don't watch the amitabh one).
~ 'jub tuk hai jaan' (not like most of his work, but its SRK ;) the king of romance lol)
~'my name is khan' and u have to watch
~'Om shanti Om' if u haven't already. OMG! I love that movie ;D there's also
~ 'chak de India' and
~'veer zara'

Watch 3 idiots. It's not SRK but its a really really really great movie. :)

Also watch lord of the rings series :D I love it and I think u will too since u like Harry potter :)
I'm sure I like a lot of movies I'm just having trouble remembering their names right now :p I will Msg again as soon as I rem :D

Books I would ditto on didems post. Phew didem! U really wrote a huge list. Even I haven't read all ;) but thanks I'm gonna use this list too. Hehe
Nazifa take a look at my previous book recommendations post in reply to Jessica's..I really love all the books that I wrote there. Barbara Bradford Taylor, Jude deveraux, Julie garwood, lavyrle spencer, johanna Lindsey. These r all great writers.. As in for the kind of drama in our books that we like :D so u can just pick any book by them and have at it :D

Btw I tried looking for this Korean drama u recommended but I can't find it. Can u paste a link here? Thanks :)

I can recommend sum tv shows that u can watch on this site (btvguide.com): arrow, grey's anatomy, beauty and the beast (2012), smallville, one tree hill, castle, how I met your mother, Game of thrones, once upon a time, white collar, prison break and suits. These are all fun and good shows. I wouldn't say the vampire diaries since I know u already watch it hahaha ;)

Lemme know if my list is helpful :D hope u enjoy your vacations. I might come to Dubai next week or the one after that. Lemme know if u would like to meet up. :)

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 am

Thanks Farah! : D
For the Bollywood movies, I've already watched the ones you mentioned. Lol. Yes, I am a devoted SRK fan. And I agree they are absolutely amazing. I have even watched 3 Idiots, I was actually re-watching it yesterday. He he! A VERY VERY VERY inspiring movie. Lol, the 'chamatkar' to 'balatkar' speech! : D

I'll take down the names of the books you mentioned...and soon I shall do book-shopping...once my exams get over!

I've watched One Tree Hill up til Season 4, then I left it. And I am currently watching Suits ♥. I am in semi-finale episode of Season 2. Yay! I LOVE HARVEY!
I gave up on Vampire Diaries, because it is kind of losing its main plot and they just keeping getting new bad guys etc etc! I got tired of it!
I'll try the other shows. . . .thank you very much.

For the next two weeks, I have exams :'( *sob, sob*

The link to Boys over Flowers:

*don't forget to click on the caption box to view the English subtitles*
or this :
This one is divided into 5 segments so just click part 2/3/4/5 sequently! :)

And Farah, welcome back! *warm hug*
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Wed May 29, 2013 2:16 am

"вon voyage, cнérιe."

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Wed May 29, 2013 4:07 am

Just finished watching Suits. : D
Weird ending, though. . . . ><
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

FarahN
Baroness

Unread postby FarahN » Wed May 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Hey thanks Nazifa! *warm hug back* :) good to be back. :D
hahaha yeh weird ending of suits.. Kinda leaves u hanging eh? :p you are Absolutely right about vampire diaries. I Donno what they're thinking. I do love Claus though :$ his love for Caroline is kind of sweet :p

If u like suits u would love white collar. Matt bomer is sooooo freakin' hot in it! *swoon* lol

I gave the movies a bit more thought and here are some more indian ones :D :

-rockstar
-mausam
-zindagi na mile gi dobara
-dostana
-dil Chahta hai
-English vinglish
-OMG (oh my god)
-band baja Baraat
-ladies vs Ricky behl
-guzaarish
-gol maal 3
-welcome
-rajneeti
-kites
-rocket singh(salesman of the year)
-love Aaj kal
-hum tum
-ghajini
-rang de basanti
-jab we met

:D I hope this time u found titles u haven't watched yet heheh
You're right about 3 idiots. Loved that speech too hahahaha oh god hilarious! poor guy :p I watched it when I was done with my thesis and my studies had ended lol And I was like dude! I wish I'd seen it before. :p it was inspiring definitely. You understand the Hindi movies without subtitles? :)

Best of luck for your exams Nazifa :D I'm sure you'll do great!

To answer your question I've graduated from an art college with a major in advertising and minor in photography. So now after a few job experiences, I've started freelancing. I do graphic design, advertisements, photography for events, products and sites. Stuff like that. In my leisure time I do pen and ink sketches too :p so I guess that makes me an artist or rather, a graphic artist hehehe ;D

I've been busy lately with this architectural photography assignment. It's an on going project so I might disappear randomly for a while :) but ahhhh it's really good to be back! :D

FarahN
Baroness

Unread postby FarahN » Wed May 29, 2013 4:54 pm

PS: thank u so much for the link Nazifa. I'll be sure to check that drama out :D ASAP

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Thu May 30, 2013 1:42 pm

"вon voyage, cнérιe."

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Thu May 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Yup, this there are some movies you mentioned which I haven't watched yet, although some I just heard of. I'll check it out during le summer. *yay* Thanks A LOT!

And YES, I understand Hindi movies without subtitles. It's because as a child I was in a school where I had a lot of Pakistani classmates. And I used to watch with my mother Indian soaps. Yeah, Indian dramas, I know. So, yup, I am le expert now in understanding it.

Btw, it's great to know your profession is something you enjoy doing. *thumbs up*

I shall watch White Collar soon enough after exams. :D
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

FarahN
Baroness

Unread postby FarahN » Thu May 30, 2013 2:45 pm

Ok I will definitely watch it!! :D haha
Happy to help u with your movie list ;) lemme know when u need your next list hahahahaha :p

Yeh the Indian dramas ;) I know... Never watched them though. My cousins do :p but good to hear that u can understand Urdu and all :D will be easy to converse in either language when and if we meet ;D

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Congratulations on becoming a baroness, Farah. *yay*
I watched them as a child, now...hahaha....just no. The slow motions, the cliffhangers, the rebirths even after being thrown off cliffs.....nope....not my type. Never was.

And I'll just listen to you in Urdu but I shan't speak in it. My accent!! It's like an American or some foreigner trying to speak in Urdu. *yikes*
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

FarahN
Baroness

Unread postby FarahN » Thu May 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Hahahahaha sounds like fun :p but don't worry I promise I won't make fun of you ;D lol

I'm sure the Americans and English feel that we've butchered their accents hahaha so it's ok. You're allowed to butcher ours from time to time :p

FarahN
Baroness

Unread postby FarahN » Thu May 30, 2013 4:18 pm

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 pm

Even if you don't make fun of me, I'm sure I'll die with hysterics by hearing my own voice. LOL XD
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Fri May 31, 2013 1:33 pm

"вon voyage, cнérιe."

Return to “Judith McNaught Message Board”

Login