[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
Whitney, My Love vs Defiant Angel--Re:Copyright Infringement -

Whitney, My Love vs Defiant Angel--Re:Copyright Infringement

Have a burning question that was not addressed on the site? Do you have a question about a past book? Or just want to share your comments?
Let us know on the McNaughtized comment board!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jessica
Viscountess
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Whitney, My Love vs Defiant Angel--Re:Copyright Infringement

Unread postby Jessica » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Crystal
Baroness

Re: Whitney, My Love vs Defiant Angel--Re:Copyright Infringe

Unread postby Crystal » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Can I just say, that the way in which Judith handled this whole situation just SCREAMS of class. She is one classy lady.

Mysti
Baroness

Unread postby Mysti » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:39 pm

That's amazing! Why in the world would eanyone ever think it was 'OK' to copy someone else's work?

You are right, though, Chrystal, Judith is a very classy gal. I'm not sure if someone on the forum said this already, but I have always ( in my head... Okay where else would this occur :) :D ) thought Judith must be very much like Meredith; to me, the classiest woman ever. 8)

Nazifa Jan
Viscountess

Unread postby Nazifa Jan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:54 pm

Woah! This is some news!
I must say after reading JM's response to the situation, I am admiring her even more than I already did [which was sky high]. :)

She is amazing. [And that's a fact!]

Although I am a bit curious about how DA is, I am still a bit hesitant.
Jessica & Crystal, I'll be waiting for your response on it and then I'll see about whether I should read it or not...
"вon voyage, cнérιe."

Jessica
Viscountess

Unread postby Jessica » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:30 pm

It seems to have good reviews -- there is a thread on Amazon where people are asking what ever happened to Stephanie Stevens, and how they are dying for sequels about the brothers...

I for one am dying to see these copied scenes... if only for a laugh. lol.

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:10 pm

I am not sure if I want to read a book which is an imitation of W,ML. It feels like a waste of time, I could read W,ML again at that time. On the other hand, I am curious about in what ways she had changed it and what ways she had copied it. I mean, what was she trying to do really? I think we need to read it to understand. But there is the dilemma that is it right to order it and make them earn money on a book that is stolen from our beloved Judith?

I am at a lost here. You read it, then I shall decide...
“Con ogni respiro che prendo.”

Mysti
Baroness

Unread postby Mysti » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Crystal
Baroness

Unread postby Crystal » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Well, you can only buy used copies at this point because it was pulled off the shelves years ago. If that helps...

Jessica
Viscountess

Unread postby Jessica » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Exactly. Only used copies are available. We aren't giving her royalties at ALL. My copy came from eBay. :)

Crystal
Baroness

Unread postby Crystal » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Yeah, and I bought mine from an amazon used book seller. I think it cost me about 10 cents or so. lol

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:34 am

“Con ogni respiro che prendo.”

Mysti
Baroness

Unread postby Mysti » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:32 am

Jessica
Viscountess

Unread postby Jessica » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:20 pm

So, I finally read this book. I had high hopes for it, since it was taken off the shelves due to its resemblance to Whitney, My Love. I mean, you have to work really hard to make a carbon copy of Whitney My Love and muck it up.

And perhaps that was the fallacy in my thinking. The truth is, I probably would have liked this book much more if it HAD been more like Whitney, My Love. Unfortunately, it was not.

Here are a few of the similarities I noted:

There is a scene where Clinton's attorney, Doonesbury, is in his carriage, briefcase in lap, approaching Clinton's house....And what is Doonesbury going there for? Oh, funny you should ask. He is going to deliver a background report on Tiffany. And when he leaves, it is with instructions on what is to be done with a large sum of money. 100,000 pounds to be perfectly precise. Sound familiar? Yes, it's because it is a comically bad version of when Matthew Bennett goes to Clayton's gorgeous French house with his background check on Whitney and her family.

Another similarity -- At the time of Clinton's meeting with Doonesbury, Tiffany knows little of his existence. He's been introduced to her once, but she paid him scant attention because she was surrounded by a bevy of fawning admirers. Which is very much like Clayton having been introduced to Whitney twice--the first time when she was too young for him to consider, and the second time when she was surrounded by men and we are told she flicked a distracted glance in his direction and didn't pay attention to his name.

Names -- A lot of the names in Defiant Angel were similar to those used in WML. There's the Clayton/Clinton resemblance. I think Tiffany's maid was named Clarissa... Oh! And her horse, her beloved horse.... No, he was not named Khan. BUT....his sire was Genghis Khan, and his offspring was Kubla Khan. If that counts for anything.

There was one scene I remember where Clinton kisses Tiffany, and the first bruising kiss is "a lesson"....The scene was very reminiscent of Clayton and Whitney on the balcony at Amelia Eubank's party....

Oh, and you know where Whitney crosses the channel to France? And you turn the page and it says "France 1816-1820"???? Well....as hilarious as it is, this book has the same exact page.

These little similarities were fun when I found them....but the rest of the time, reading that book was like slogging through thigh-high swamp water in lead boots.

I think Crystal put it best when she said that whoever said this book was like Whitney, My Love ruined the career of a very bad author.

Not even the elements stolen from Whitney, My Love could make this book rise to the level of mediocrity, and no comparison between those two books should ever be drawn. Like...ever.

Return to “Judith McNaught Message Board”

Login