[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
What do you read when you finish Judith McNaught? -

What do you read when you finish Judith McNaught?

Have a burning question that was not addressed on the site? Do you have a question about a past book? Or just want to share your comments?
Let us know on the McNaughtized comment board!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
beachlove
An "Original"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
What do you read when you finish Judith McNaught?

Unread postby beachlove » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:39 pm

I have read all the books now. Maybe some of them like three or four times each.

I started on Outlander. Which I have to say sometimes I have to stop myself from thinking there are similar characters. Like Claymore!

I love Outlander but find they are too heavy at times with all the war. Plus, I love Jamie but he seems to never catch a break. reminds me of Jordan.

Anyway, what do you all read when you are not reading JM? I wish there were twenty more books to read.

Jessica
Viscountess

Re: What do you read when you finish Judith McNaught?

Unread postby Jessica » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:26 am

Ughhhhh I would also like to know a good answer to this question! I read constantly in an eternal quest to find something half as wonderful as JM books. I'd settle for even just ONE book I might actually consider re-reading in the future. Unfortunately, most books I read are promptly forgotten the moment I finish them. Sighhhhh.... So every month or so, I basically give up the search and go back to re-reading JM books and the Harry Potter series. I alternate, depending on my mood. lol.

Of the books I've read, only a few have stood out.
1. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire -- Nothing like a JM book, really, but ahhhh, the angst. Delicious angst.
2. Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas -- Again, the angst. Gets me every time. I actually re-read this one. I love the way this author writes. I also enjoyed Luckiest Lady in London, but this one was my favorite.
3. Umm.... Okay, I thought there were more, but I guess not. haha.

There is also a series by Sarah MacLean that kept me diverted long enough to read all of them in a row. (I think it started with Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake, but that fact bears checking.) And a book by Olivia Parker called "At the Bride Hunt Ball" was pretty good. I found the recommendation in an "If you like Judith McNaught, you might like..." thread online, and it was one of the few mentioned that I actually enjoyed.

I've tried reading Outlander. I got to the second or third one and haven't quite managed to finish yet. Those books just EXHAUST me. I do like heavy reading--but I feel as if Diana Gabaldon takes the time to describe every blade of grass on every hillside, and my mind starts wondering halfway through the descriptions. I'll finish them at some point before I die... Maybe.

Any other suggestions??? I would love to hear. <3

xoxoxo

-- Jessica

KatC
Debutante

Unread postby KatC » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:45 pm

if you've never read The Windflower by Laura London, it's one of the few books I would rate right up there with all my Judith McNaught books and is newly released as an ebook. It's a historical romance.

A few years ago as I was looking for a new author, I ran across Susan Elizabeth Phillips, light, funny and entertaining with a quirky heroine; contemporary. There are a couple of hers that I don't like, but try Natural Born Charmer or First Lady or This Heart of Mine, and if you don't like one of those you're not going to like SEP. I laugh out loud a lot reading SEP. I don't know why I REALLY like most of hers, but there are 2 I don't like at all???

I'm trying to remember books that I reread the most other than JM and have multiple copies or repurchase later as an ebook to always have on hand: Golden Surrender by Heather Graham, historical; After the Night or Son of the Morning by Linda Howard. Both Sandra Brown and Linda Howard have gone more mystery/suspense, but they wrote wonderful romances at the beginning of their careers. If you've never read any of Kathleen Woodiwiss, both The Flame And the Flower and The Wolf and the Dove got me addicted to reading historical romances a million years ago. Before JM, her books were the ones that I waited for, but the very last 2 or 3 were disappointing.

Happy hunting--I'd love some new favorite authors.

Jessica
Viscountess

Unread postby Jessica » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:47 pm

I love SEP!!! I haven't read Natural Born Charmer yet, but I loved Lady Be Good, It Had to Be You, and Nobody's Baby But Mine. And I found Kiss an Angel super angsty! Which I love.

I haven't read the Heather Graham Golden Surrender. I just downloaded it to my Kindle! :) I loved Sandra Brown's early works. Especially Sunset Embrace--although I seem to remember being traumatized by a later book in which those characters appeared. It's still too raw and painful for me to think about. lol.

I just finished Wicked Angel by Julia London last week, and oh my gosh, I LOVED it. It was soooo angsty and wonderful, and had many JM-esque elements. It soared right up to my top non-JM favorites along with Private Arrangements and Beautiful Disaster. I downloaded more of hers, but sadly none of them have been quite as wonderful as that one. Sighhh....

Can't wait to start the Heather Graham book! <3

Emmy84
Debutante

Unread postby Emmy84 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:02 am

Julie Garwood's historical romances are really good and I just read Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase and really liked it. Lisa Kleypas also has some good historical romance books.

Eliosa James Desperate Duchesses series was good as well.

I agree about SEP - I would say one of my favourite contemporary romance writers.

A fairly unknown author that I stumbled across Elle Casey has a couple good contemporary romance books called Shine not burn and By Degrees.

Also I love Kristen Ashley's Fantasyland Series and some of her stand alone books Play it Safe, Three wishes and Fairytale come alive. I really like this author but from memory some of her other books have quite abit of swearing and aren't as tame as the normal contemporary.

Hope this helps.

Cant wait for the next book!!!

didem
Viscountess

Unread postby didem » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:29 am

Most of my favorites have already been written here (Julie Garwood (all her books are great to me), SEP, Harry Potter). I love Lynn Kurland's Time Travel Series; MacLeod Family and De Piaget Family. There must be at least 25 books there, almost all of them very good. (Actually I've started to reread them 2 days ago, finished the first and started to the second one. And they are still very good (I first read them 3 years ago)). Speaking of Time Travel novels, I love Janet Chapman's Highlander Series.
These two writers do write very good time travel romance which becomes a torture when it is not good.

If you want angst; Catherine Anderson's Annie's Song just made me bawl outloud for days (Slightly exaggerated of course :D ) It is an amazingly written drama, romance, happy ending book.

As I've said somewhere before I love Jude Deveraux's Velvet and Peregrine series.

I love Rachel Gibson's most books. But I really do love Truly Madly Yours and True Confessions.

These are the first ones that comes to mind. If I remember others, I'll write.
There are several books you have recommended I have not read yet. I'll read them after I finish Lynn Kurland. So thank you in advance ;)
“Con ogni respiro che prendo.”

moonstar74
Debutante

Unread postby moonstar74 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:12 pm

I like Jude Deveraux. She has written books with JM and I have heard that they are friends. That is why I started reading her work. I now own most of her books and reread them often.
Also, Julia Quinn is really good. I do the same with her books.
Eloisa James, Teresa Medeiros and Lisa Kleypas are also good authors.
I love finding new authors so tell me what you like!

sammi
Debutante

Unread postby sammi » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:11 am

I ask this question too! In addition to JM, I have all of Julie Garwood's and Johanna Lindsey's books. I couldn't get enough of them. For historicals, Lindsey has a series on the Mallory family that is really good. Some more than others. And their contemporaries are both good. Oh and cowboys! Lindsey gave me my love of the rugged all-man American cowboys in addition to lairds, dukes, and earls, haha.

sammi
Debutante

Unread postby sammi » Sun May 03, 2015 11:23 pm

Btw I am not recommending all Lindsey's books. Some are downright baaad. But I liked some of the Mallory stories. And after looking back, I guess she doesn't have contemporaries. I was confused, since she and Garwood both release a new book each year. And fantasticfiction.com puts McNaught's next book at 2017. Goodness I hope it doesn't take that long. I am rereading Garwood now, and even though I like the stories, nobody seems to compare to JM. She is so smooth. She really is in a class by herself, it seems. Others just get so cheesy and many parts seem so...contrived!

Jessica
Viscountess

Unread postby Jessica » Thu May 07, 2015 10:46 am

I could not agree more! Nothing compares to JM. :(

Funny we should be talking about Johanna Lindsey -- I just started re-reading some of her older works! Started with Man of My Dreams, and then read Once a Princess which I didn't remember at all but LOVED this time when I read it. Now I'm starting the Mallory series. So far I'm almost halfway into the first one and am just like "ehhh" but hopefully that will change shortly....

O...M...G.... 2017???????? *sob* I hope they are exaggerating.

sammi
Debutante

Unread postby sammi » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Ah! Well, tastes differ. I am looking for all these here recommended books at my local used book stores. I liked The Wolf and the Dove, so far.

I enjoyed the first 5 in the Mallory series, especially the dialogue. My first from them was Say You Love Me, so it remains my fave, but Gentle Rogue was HOT. I liked that part of it, for sure.

Hearts Aflame is one of my favorites from Lindsey. It is the only one I like from its series. And I can't remember the titles, have not reread them, but there is an other-world, somewhat futuristic series that surprised me with how good it was. I will have to read them again, though I don't usually like unreal, fantasy/sci-fi type novels. It was advanced world meets old undeveloped planet. They still were good. Tastes differ, true, but it turned out very similar to a medieval setting.

I thank you for this thread, because I hate being disappointed in books, so I usually stick to ones such as Nora Roberts when I need a read. She is safe, because they are usually fairly good, but safe is not exciting and not memorable. I will enjoy finding all the recommendations! Funny though, that even with new books, I still have to have my JM fix in between. Addictive.

Jessica
Viscountess

Unread postby Jessica » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Sammi! Omigosh, Gentle Rogue is the next on my list! I've finished the first 2 in the Mallory series and took a break to read Julie James and Lisa Kleypas. After I finish the last book in LK's Bow Street series I'm switching back to the Mallorys. I really liked the second one! Love James and am thrilled to see he's in book 3. Now that I read your comments I'm even more excited to start it!! <3 AND....I just read the description of Hearts Aflame and it sounds sooooo good. I downloaded it too. I may not be able to resist reading it first before Gentle Rogue. lol.

That advanced world meets undeveloped planet series sounds intriguing. You must let me know asap if you remember the title of the series!!

Oh, and btw -- I totally agree about the JM Fix. I just read WML again a few weeks ago. And it was divine. I am still coasting along in the happy aftermath of that JM fix. lol. Almost time for another one.

Nazish
Debutante

Unread postby Nazish » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi guys, I am new here and I'll be going through all this thread for suggestions, because once you have read JM, no one ever matches up, although I do like some of Lisa Kleypas and Julia Quinn ones.

cggrimm
Debutante

Unread postby cggrimm » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Kathleen Woodiwiss is the only one I can think of that even comes close. Lisa Kleypas has a few good ones out. There's always Rosemary Rogers.

Xanthophyll
Debutante

Unread postby Xanthophyll » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:33 am

I agree with many people that there is no comparison, but there is a writer fairly similar named Francine Rivers, she is the closest to JM that I've so far read. Her books do have a christian theme running through them, however that doesn't stop them from being fairly similar. I would wholeheartedly recommend them.

Ciku
Debutante

Unread postby Ciku » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:43 pm

What do I read after JM??? Great question... Have tried several of the authors here but no one else really captured my interest like JM (I have all her books and re read them quite often).

So after looking and nit getting anything to capture my mind I tried a whole different type (paranormal) and got two authors (after several tries and fails). So now J. R. Ward Black Dagger Brotherhood (BDB) series and Fallen Angels series are on my OMG list. Christine Feehan has several series as well and I love them all as well.

Return to “Judith McNaught Message Board”

Login